The distribution and productivity of Sitka spruce in Ireland.

  • T.J. Purcell Forest and Wildlife Service, Bray, Co. Wicklow.
Keywords: Sitka spruce, distribution, productivity, yield class, Picea sitchensis, silviculture.

Abstract

Since 1955, Sitka spruce has been the most widely planted species in Ireland. Forty-five % of the total area of high forest now comprise Sitka spruce. Northern Ireland has 70 % and the Republic of Ireland 41 % of its total forest area under Sitka. These figures include all plantings up to 1974. The state administers 95 % of all Sitka spruce plantations while the other 5 % is in private ownership (Table 1). Almost one-third of the total area of the species, is in the West of Ireland while there is 22 and 24 % in the northern and southern regions respectively. Distribution by county and ownership is given in Table 2. The age class distribution shows that more than 50 % of the total area of the species is ten years old or under while more than 80 % is under twenty years.
Published
1977-11-01
How to Cite
Purcell, T. (1977). The distribution and productivity of Sitka spruce in Ireland. Irish Forestry. Retrieved from https://journal.societyofirishforesters.ie/index.php/forestry/article/view/9362
Section
Conference Papers